Saturday, December 5, 2009

the musikero100: what it is, and why

The Musikero100 is a dream. It is a group of people led by the basic principle that change is only possible through unity.

I have been asked numerous times why I have not formed a "Fan Club". I have evaded these questions well, so far, but I have finally decided, for now, to give 2 reasons why:

1) The word FAN - I don't particularly like the word "fan", which makes it difficult to form a fan club. I know it's just a word, and many people don't care. But I do. The word "fan" gives me an uneasy feeling of hierarchy, as if a fan must submit to a false idol. I find it demeaning and superficial. I mean no offense to those who consider themselves "fans". There is nothing wrong with it, but I don't prefer the word. I am a songwriter and a poet, which is why I make a big deal out of words, what they connote, and how they sound.

a) I prefer the word "supporter". The word "supporter" connotes a cooperation, and an equality between the supporter and the supported. A supporter gives something more than adulation or idolatry. A supporter doesn't just swoon, or fall momentarily in love, or use his/her idol as a fantasy. A supporter takes part, and therefore believes.

b) "Belief" and "Faith" are big words, and a supporter must possess these in order to truly support somoene. A pillar, for example, cannot support a structure if it does not "believe" in the engineer's plan. Even a lifeless pillar must BELIEVE.

2) The word CLUB -The other reason why I haven't formed a "club" is that I think it is a huge responsibiliy. I don't want to just get "fans" or "supporters" together for no particular objective. I know a lot of people don't even know who I am, and I don't care. I've never done this for the fame. But for the few people who do know me, who do believe in me, and who want to "support" me through a club, I don't want to just get them into some social club just to collect their money, to put up insignificant shows for them, to have a few drinks, and chat mindlessly. I have always wanted to make a difference, as a musician and as a citizen.

~ Now, after much thought and time, I have finally organized a few key people to help me form Musikero100. Musikero100 is a supporters' group (not a "support group" like Alcoholics Anonymous, etc.). Through my years of playing on the road, I have met very few BUT very significant people who were able to look closely at my lyrics, and have listened closely to my spiels in between. They have broken down my melodies and speech, and have finally come to realize that I am, indeed, trying to do something. Something different.

In a future blog, and pardon the unintentional suspense, I will illustrate clearly and without anymore mystery what the Musikero100 is, and what I hope it will ultimately be. For the few believers, I assure you that it is about coming together, and creating change in this industry.